Strength: 3
Range: 375' (+50% for Rank 5 technique)

Willow Leaf Arrows
Damage: 5k2
Quantity: 20

Weapon 2: Daisho
Attack: 2k2 (unskilled)
Damage: 6k2

Idea behind character is a bushi who has spent most of his youth training dogs to help him on hunts. Ideally I would ask the GM for approval to have a pet dog. The dog would act as a guard during skirmishes as your character fires away. Boosting the athletics to take advantage of the Daredevil advantage to make for some cinematic battle scenes (run up a tree, propel yourself off to get the height angle needed for a headshot...). The friend of the elements advantage helps with a free raise so that you can consistently hit the called shots. Getting to Rank 2 gives you another free raise so it will allow head shots to become more frequent (Called Shot-Head is 3 raises). If the Gm disallows a guard dog then you can remove animal handling and boost the other level one skills. Could be a fun character. Feel free to chime in with ideas or any experience with a Tsuruchi bushi.

Character has been revamped. Then I did more research on the Tsuruchi and realized that they hate the Scorpion and Lion and like the Crane . Also since they are the magistrates of the Mantis clan and we are starting our campaign in Mantis lands it could be fun....we'll see. I'll decide soon and after I talk to Sleep.

Last edited by Kakita Hideo on Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:29 am; edited 5 times in total
Kakita Hideo
Kenshinzen of The Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible Rank 1 Tsuruchi Archer Magistrate

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:48 pm

One thing that was suggested from the AEG forums was that animals within their own right are very powerful. Inumori was a young dog, not a full-grown unicorn mastiff yet. (used the wolf stats)

Beyond that I plan to modify Damasko's sheet with an advantage (paying the EXP for it) of a servant (5 points). Since other servants are effectively people themselves with low ranking skills (a craftsmen would have craft skill 3 and nothing else), in this manner you can get a dog effectively.

Keep in mind that Damasko carries food for the animal within his pack, the dog will need to be tended too and looked at so animal handling as you have it was a great idea!
Moto Damasko
Enlightened Forgotten Bay Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaronious on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Not that I am telling you to play Bill's character, but the Clan background he used indicates that Tsuruchi, as part of their gempukku (or whatever the joining ceremony is called for them since nobody is born into the Tsuruchi name,) they break their wakis and take a different, non-sword weapon.

This reflects the breach of faith when Scorpion was sieging them and Lion came to the rescue, only to enter the fort peacably and begin slaughtering the family. (This all happened when the original Tsuruchi was still just a child in the Scorpion family.)

This event is also what drove Tsuruchi to form an entirely merit-based, rather than geneaology-based, minor clan - this is why they hold the tournament to determine who is good enough to join Tsuruchi.

Ask the GM and he may allow it the way I did - can't speak for him, of course.

Aaronious
Hero of the Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakita Hideo on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm

the wakizashi is the school based weapon from the book. I'd have to look up the Tsuruchi history more closely then and I'll choose a weapon. Thanks for the knowledge.
Kakita Hideo
Kenshinzen of The Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

The wakazashi is a sign of a samurai, if you mean the katana I could understand. Where all other samurai bushi keep a daisho, the wakazashi is a small blade, probably kept for use. Check other bushi schools, they all have a daisho I believe.
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaronious on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Hmm, I might be wrong - I don't think so, though. Again, it is a repudiation of everything that makes a Samurai a Samurai, because of the faith-shattering events that led to the founding of the Tsuruchi clan.

I know that other bushi schools have Wakizashis, but they don't have the history of the Tsuruchi clan.

The reason I don't think I am wrong about the waki/katana is that the Wakizashi represents the personal honor of the samurai, but the Tsuruchi believe that your honor extends only as far as you back up your words - there is no symbolic representation of that honor for them.

They are very much a "Do, don't tell" kind of family.

Of course, all of this may have changed in the fluff when they were subsumed by the Mantis clan, I dunno. Bill had an ancient book something akin to your Unicorn book that had all this detail in it.

Aaronious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Just to clarify.. Bills character wasn't a Mantis Tsuruchi archer... he actually considered himself of the "Wasp" clan. The Wasp clan was the Tsuruchi before they were folded in with the Mantis. They were a minor clan and as thus could kind of get away with the more fanatical or crazy ideals about swords and whatnot.

But playing a proper Tsuruchi Mantis Bushi I would think that you would still carry a Wakizashi. I also doubt that they break their Katana's any longer, seeing as how it would be an insult to the Mantis Clan (implying that their equipment wasn't worth using... very dishonorable). Instead, I imagine that they leave their katana at home, and only carry a wakizashi (which ALL proper samurai must do, even shugenja and courtiers) which is the embodiment of their soul.

Anthony, I wont make you use the wakizashi as your 2nd weapon, but I think for roleplay reasons you will have a wakizashi on you at all times, as stated in the book as a part of your outfit (on page 122).

Used to blog L5R, now I run the community board for Tampa L5R, The Forgotten Bay.
Top Lion Atlanta Kotei 2012, Top 16, 10th Overall.
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum