The Forgotten Bay Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EE Rules Changes

+2
Sleep
panku
6 posters

Go down

EE Rules Changes Empty EE Rules Changes

Post  panku Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:30 am

http://www.l5r.com/news/emperor-edition-design-diaries-new-rules/

Conqueror = Spearhead. Turns out those Spider personalities weren't complete garbage. Oh, and scaling honor loses based on PH. Spider might have a fighting chance vs dishonor this next arc. This is the news i needed to rejuvenate my interest in EE.

The changes to dueling are awesome too. Dueling in CE was fucking retarded.
panku
panku
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

EE Rules Changes Empty Re: EE Rules Changes

Post  Sleep Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:41 am

panku wrote:
The changes to dueling are awesome too. Dueling in CE was fucking retarded.

Agreed. No longer being able to cherry pick your focus effects will help non-dueling decks so much. It's supposed to be a very strong mechanic that has a risk of blowing up in your face. CE got away from that, making 99% of duels not only auto-win, but also abusable to get 2 or three different effects from just one action. Being able to do this without any loss of card advantage (unlike monks who have to burn their hand to get several effects from one action) was just way too strong.

The fact that they will never focus first is so huge.
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  BayushiTrevron Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

I'm personally really glad that they're working to keep military decks from feeling powerless against those monstrous enlightenment and dishonor decks that won everything in CE.
BayushiTrevron
BayushiTrevron
Bright Shield of Sweet Truths

Location : In the seam where secrets sleep between me, her, the devil, and the deep blue sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Pruto Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:06 pm

BayushiTrevron wrote:I'm personally really glad that they're working to keep military decks from feeling powerless against those monstrous enlightenment and dishonor decks that won everything in CE.

no comments about dishonor, but AEG said enlightenment is suppose to be a difficult victory condition, I totally agree. When people pull off enlightenment victories or win tournies with enlightenment decks its suppose to be an amazing feat, not a common occurence. Makes sense, right?
Pruto
Pruto
Commander of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  BayushiTrevron Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Of course it makes sense, I just don't see when it became easy.
I'd like to get an extra turn after I've lost all my provinces to put out the last ring or finish dishonoring you, but I realize that makes no sense at all.
BayushiTrevron
BayushiTrevron

Location : In the seam where secrets sleep between me, her, the devil, and the deep blue sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:43 pm

BayushiTrevron wrote:Of course it makes sense, I just don't see when it became easy.
I'd like to get an extra turn after I've lost all my provinces to put out the last ring or finish dishonoring you, but I realize that makes no sense at all.

True, but to balance this, sepukku was nerfed HARD. Granted yes, they have to end their turn under -19 (which will be pretty difficult vs a high honor clan who goes back over -19 by buying a 4 personal honor dude during dynasty), but now every dishonor action you perform "hits" for it's full amount. No more seppuku on the 3+ dishonor effects to reduce it to one. At the highest level of play, a military player will easily negate 5-10 honor loss through seppuku.

All things being equal, dishonor will probably be a little weak at the beginning of the arc like usual, and then ramp up as the arc progresses. This is simply because military doesn't need "special cards" to do what it does. If you have enough guys with force values you can win through military. Honor is also pretty viable due to the personal honor during dynasty mechanic. But dishonor (and to a lesser extent enlightenment) require specific card interactions to accomplish it's goal, and oftentimes at the beginning of the arc the card pool just isn't there to field a complete deck.
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Pruto Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:51 pm

BayushiTrevron wrote:Of course it makes sense, I just don't see when it became easy.

um, dragon enlightenment over the last year or so became very consistant, maybe due to the talent of dragon players rather than difficulty level of the victory condition.

IRC enlightenment won 2 koteis, i think one other major tourney recently, and have consistantly placed top 8/16 throughout the arc in major tourneys. Not dominant, but "easier" than intended imo.
Pruto
Pruto

Back to top Go down

Post  BayushiTrevron Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:13 pm

My only real complaint is the language used. When they talk about the powerlessness of other decks, I just don't get it.
BayushiTrevron
BayushiTrevron

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakita Hideo Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:30 pm

The enlightenment wins were in small koteis (<20 people). The rule changes to make military better is funny since honor was only viable this arc because of LSC and embassy. Taking those two out and what honor decks are out there. The new design on SH already puts honor in a bad spot since impromptu and focusing are gone. Samurai
Kakita Hideo
Kakita Hideo
Kenshinzen of The Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  panku Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:56 pm

-Trevor- When they say powerless they are specifically referring to situations where you attack the last province with breaking force, but it won't matter as your going to get dishonored out. So both of the win conditions for control decks (honor and dishonor) are now mirrored.

-Anthony - You can say the exact same thing about military though, take out Lion and Breeder and where would military have been last arc?

Its a new arc, with a new set of cards. Its pretty pointless to make suppositions about the viability of Deck types without any real knowledge of the landscape. Especially considering the fact that there are now twice as many honor decks, and four times as many viable dishonor decks in the environment.
panku
panku

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosh Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Sleep wrote:

True, but to balance this, sepukku was nerfed HARD. Granted yes, they have to end their turn under -19 (which will be pretty difficult vs a high honor clan who goes back over -19 by buying a 4 personal honor dude during dynasty)
That's actually not the case- if he *ever* goes below -19 your opponent loses at the end of his turn, regardless of how much honor he gains after that point. He does always get one final attack into you, though.
Gosh
Gosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Gosh wrote:
Sleep wrote:

True, but to balance this, sepukku was nerfed HARD. Granted yes, they have to end their turn under -19 (which will be pretty difficult vs a high honor clan who goes back over -19 by buying a 4 personal honor dude during dynasty)
That's actually not the case- if he *ever* goes below -19 your opponent loses at the end of his turn, regardless of how much honor he gains after that point. He does always get one final attack into you, though.

EVEN BETTER.

The Kola--- I mean the Yasuki are happy to hear about this development.
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  BayushiTrevron Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Gosh wrote:

Wow. That had not occurred to me that way.
I also don't mean to be taken as honestly complaining; the art of prophecy is imperfect at best. It's just a lot to fathom.
BayushiTrevron
BayushiTrevron

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosh Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:34 pm

BayushiTrevron wrote:
Gosh wrote:

Wow. That had not occurred to me that way.
I also don't mean to be taken as honestly complaining; the art of prophecy is imperfect at best. It's just a lot to fathom.
I'm pretty sure it's a Scorpion tradition to make everyone think we have it worse than we actually do heh
Gosh
Gosh

Back to top Go down

Post  BayushiTrevron Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 pm

sh. dont tell anyone
BayushiTrevron
BayushiTrevron

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum