EE delayed until January 2012 :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EE delayed until January 2012 :(

Post  Sleep on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:45 am

http://www.l5r.com/news/emperor-edition-important-news/

I'm very sad about this, but after reading exactly what is going into this set (in the article) it is definitely worth it. They are all about Emperor Edition being a "premium" experience, and I think they are exceeding that by far. As long as there are no problems with the end product, this will be far and away the highest quality CCG product you can buy. This stuff blows MTG's "fat packs" out of the water for a similar pricepoint, and I actually think that it will be much easier to introduce new players to the game with such an amazing product. The clan specific decks and their contents give every new player a complete introduction to the clan as well as building their loyalty to the clan from day one by giving them clan specific cards (champion, celestial, 3 special virtues) AND a storyline vote so they can impact the game from day one. It's only a matter of time before players of other ccgs will start taking notice of the quality of these products and I see a marginal amount of growth for L5R over the course of this arc.

That being said, it's still sad that L5R is a second class citizen (as are essentially all other ccgs other than MTG) in almost every game shop across the world. AEG has their heads on straight and imagine what they could do if they had the resources and guaranteed sales of WOTC?

Used to blog L5R, now I run the community board for Tampa L5R, The Forgotten Bay.
Top Lion Atlanta Kotei 2012, Top 16, 10th Overall.
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EE delayed until January 2012 :(

Post  Pruto on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 am

you forget l5r DID have the resources of WOTC and i think it did worse with those resources. More volume means less customer attention, and l5r prospers due to the culture promoted at AEG. The uniqueness went out the window and became another brand under WOTC/hasbro.
Pruto
Commander of the Forgotten Bay
Commander of the Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Pruto wrote:you forget l5r DID have the resources of WOTC and i think it did worse with those resources. More volume means less customer attention, and l5r prospers due to the culture promoted at AEG. The uniqueness went out the window and became another brand under WOTC/hasbro.

Well, yeah, wayyy back in the day they used to have a pretty large share of the market when MTG and L5R were still fledgling games. But you can't judge decisions made back then vs todays company. And dont forget, back then the starter decks used to come with little bead counters (EE starters also come with some sort of counters, so that's a neat homage to the past). That being said, back then you used to have to cut your stronghold out of the box your starter came in so...bleh.

Then WOTC bought them and tried to magic-ify the game, simplifying certain things and completely changing the art style for the cards. Now, the original art style was BAD, but the new one wasn't much better. What it gained in functionality it lost in character. Then, being a "secondary" concern of WOTC, the game was produced at a very mediocre level for many years. But once AEG bought the rights (back) from WOTC and started putting heart into it, the game has improved exponentially with every base set. Given todays staff and yesterdays financial backing, the game could have been something great. I mean, hell... imagine if they could do their own printing like MTG does... severely preventing a lot of the problems with the printers that occurred in CE. We'd also have EE on time too. They are getting there, I just hope that new players (and old players who are willing to give the game another shot) will see how good of a product this game is. I say this because it is a shame that it's so small of a playerbase... the tournament scene is incredibly fun and inviting compared to other competitive games, and the game rewards you on so many levels. And if the playerbase grew and there was more a of a local demand then you would see the secondary market pick up. But none of that can happen until the game is good enough to draw those players in. I don't think it was in CE (although I loved the hell out of it, I can be honest that all the players we tried to introduce just weren't captivated) and I don't think EE will get L5R to that point either. But it's a VERY good first step. There is an unrest among MTG players, and the market is ripe for another game to step in and gain a larger fanbase. It would have been WoW but they burned their bridges with much of the competitive community. I think AEG knows that the time is ripe and that's why they are putting forth the best product they can.

Used to blog L5R, now I run the community board for Tampa L5R, The Forgotten Bay.
Top Lion Atlanta Kotei 2012, Top 16, 10th Overall.
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  panku on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I think the quality of the product will help to get people interested in the game... but, its still the same game with the same retention issues. People don't stick around do the the steep learning curve and amount of effort it takes to play.

Unfortunately, i doubt l5r can see significant growth without simplifying/dumbing the game down.

-Richard
panku
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: