Unicorn Superior Mobility

Go down

Unicorn Superior Mobility

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 am

Dynasty:

Events:
- 2x Purge of Fudo:  Because fuck fallen dueling...   I'm sorry spider. 

Holdings: 16-17 haven't decided, will change the personality base slightly to offset the single card... 
- 3x Stables
- 3x Jade Works
- 3x Famous Bazaar
- 3x Traveling Market
- 2x Secluded Outpost

Some Combination of: (Thoughts)
Roaming Caravan
Bamboo Harvestors
Temple of Tengen  

Personalities:
Tsiang the Unbower
Karasu
Ming-Gwok
Naleesh
Kinto xp2
The Shakaash
Moto Taigo
3x Sujikaro - Dr Robotnic gonna cut you... 
3x Tobita
3x Izimi
2x Okano
2x Okaiu
2x Sakiko

Fate Side:

Attachments: ??
2/3x Family Sword
3x Storm-Forged Blade
2/3x Haramaki-do
2/3x Ominous Armor

Strategies: 30
3x Unsettling Gathering (2x? 3x? Meh)
3x Versatile Army
3x Incapacitated
3x Souls Sacrifice
3x Deliberations
3x Expensive Achievement
2x Fall Back
2x Advanced Warning
2x Turtle Shell
2x Sudden Movement
Creating Order
Ring of Earth
Ring of Air
Game of Dice

Not sure what else needs to change...  Overall pretty happy with how the deck plays, I think the fate-side could be honed number wise...   The attachments are about right, almost tempted to run 3x Ominous because it just turns actions off for important bodies as targets. 

The goal:  Swing turn 3-4, the deck can reliably blitz out with expensive achievement and an attachment.  Turn 4 it just takes provinces, try to avoid extended battles.  I run opposed defense if holding the right cards (turtle shell for example or just to advance warning out to stall opponents tempo).  Sujikaro draws out turtle shells early I hope, Beyond that nothing to interesting, build to the last battle then blow-out with send home/deliberations.
Moto Damasko
Enlightened Forgotten Bay Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unicorn Superior Mobility

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 pm

One thing pointed out, souls sacrifice and purge of fudo does not interact, purge specifically says "printed".   This is dumb...
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  panku on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Heh, so... purge doesn't kill shugs who turn themselves into oni? Dumb

-Richard
panku
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Final list Update: 

Dynasty: 

2 Events:
2 Purge of Fudo

17 holdings:
3x Stables
3x Traveling Market
3x Famous Bazaar
2x Secluded Outpost
2x Jade Works (considering swapping for colonial temple)
Bamboo Harvestor XP
Temple to Tengen
2x Vengeful Populace

21 Personalities:
Tsiang the Unbower
Karasu
Ming-Gwok
Naleesh
Kinto xp2
The Shakaash
Moto Taigo
3x Sujikaro - Dr Robotnic gonna cut you...
3x Izimi
3x Okano
2/3x Tobita
2/3x Sakiko    Still undecided on 3x tobita or Sakiko, Sakiko draws cards and is reserve, tobita has an action and more force, but is infantry.

9 Attachments:
2x Family Sword
2x Utaku's Destiny
2x Haramaki-do
3x Ominous Armor

31 Strategies:
2x Unsettling Gathering
3x Versatile Army
3x Incapacitated
2x Souls Sacrifice
2x Unholy Strike
3x Deliberations
3x Expensive Achievement
2x Fall Back
2x Advanced Warning
2x Turtle Shell
3x Back to the Front
Creating Order
Ring of Earth
Ring of Air
Game of Dice
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  panku on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 pm

I'd drop a deliberations, its bad on defence and you can't play mutltiple in a battle without crippling yourself.
I wouldnt risk running secluded, you could lose games to a single yuikihime.
I dislike the selection of attatchments, bt not a big deal.

-Richard
panku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:22 pm

panku wrote:I'd drop a deliberations, its bad on defence and you can't play mutltiple in a battle without crippling yourself.

Next play-test session I'll try out an all 3x scheme and see if its worth anything...  House of destiny for more card draw?  ;3 

Anyways I'll goof with it...  Worst case I just go with more 343's and move on.  

As for deliberations, it's not bad, it's just another big removal card...   I tend to save it for the end or a make or break action anyways (either the guy goes down here or I'm fucked anyways).
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  panku on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm suggesting that you drop one copy. You don't want to see multiple copies in your hand.

-Richard
panku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Thoughts on what to replace it with?  3rd soul?  *grumbles*
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Moto Damasko wrote:
panku wrote:I'd drop a deliberations, its bad on defence and you can't play mutltiple in a battle without crippling yourself.

Next play-test session I'll try out an all 3x scheme and see if its worth anything...  House of destiny for more card draw?  ;3 

Anyways I'll goof with it...  Worst case I just go with more 343's and move on.  

As for deliberations, it's not bad, it's just another big removal card...   I tend to save it for the end or a make or break action anyways (either the guy goes down here or I'm fucked anyways).

You don't want to go purely 3for3 obviously due to your box.  But I agree with rich.  Take secluded out.  It's always awkward in your deck.

I think what hurts your deck is that it lacks identity.  You have a lot of different ideas going at once, but it lacks any conviction in theme.  Are you a "sneaky, movement tricks" deck, or a "stick at the battle and win through attrition" deck?  Are you a "rush out the gate and take early provinces" deck, or a "slow build to massive unit" deck?  

This is purely my opinion, but I would look at the following cards and ask yourself if them being in the same deck is really intuitive?

Expensive Achievement -vs- Secluded Outpost / Tsiang
Ominous Armor -vs- Turtle's Shell
Advance Warning -vs- a bunch of expensive 2f attachments.

• Expensive Achievement works great for your deck.  It's awesome, reusable, unopposed province crushing power.  But buying cards like Secluded and Tsiang just give your opponent more time to mount a sufficient defense.  Suggestion:  If you are planning on being opposed (thus, going the Secluded Outpost/Tsiang route, consider dropping expensive achievement for a card that actually helps you win the opposed battle.  Strategic Withdrawal fits this, as does For the Fallen (often times a 6f swing when opposed).  Counterpoint:  If you are planning on going for unopposed speediness, then a quick, fluid gold scheme would really help.  I'd consider turning Tsiang into an event (A Great Victory actually would be kind of hilarious in this spot, or if you want something more meatier, you can always slot Dark Audience back in, getting you to one of your attachments faster for more consistency on early blitz.  Also, you could slot an honor event in his slot.) or another cheap 4-legged body.  Also, how much have you tested the Famous Bazaar/farm scheme?
  • I'm not saying that Ominous Armor and Turtle's Shell should never be in the same deck.  Far from it, the force on Ominous usually makes the personality unable to be targeted by a RA anyways.  What I am saying though is that both of these cards are filling the same slot, and if you run against a deck that doesn't do any significant RA (Lion, for example) you risk essentially having two dead cards.   Suggestion: Keep Ominous Armor due to it helping you get 2f on the field for blitz, as well as helping protect your unit end game.  Drop Turtle's Shell for Marshaling Strength for Blitz, or if you still care about RA protection but still want some blitz presence, I think that New Cavalry Tactics is incredibly underrated right now.  (Remember how surprising and game-changing a 1f follower was in EE on a paragon.  This is worse because it costs money, but it's still an engage action.  If your opponent was just holding a fear or RA and then you engage New Cavalry Tactics you have won the battle before it even started).  Counterpoint:  Drop Ominous armor due to it's awkward 3 gold and telegraphing defense.  Bump Turtle's Shell to a 3x and then use the extra two lots on one of the above cards.
  • Advance Warning has potential, especially since you have Cavalry.  But I don't feel that you can consistently use it as blitz due to the low force on your attachment suite.  Instead, in this deck, you are saving it for that last attack and essentially zeroing out a province that you are barely winning (essentially playing "war" without destroying a guy).  This is fine, but with a change to your attachment scheme, advance warning could also be a potential uber-blitz technique.  Haramaki-Do is one of the strongest attachments this arc so far, but it's an attachment designed to be used to fight a battle.  This deck has very little other bow (Versatile Army) so all you are really doing is "turning on" any straighten tech your opponent has.  Also, the 2f is really not helping you get anywhere.  Suggestion: Drop Advanced Warning and replace it with Marshaling Strength of Destiny Has No Secrets for blitz, or Strategic Withdrawal if you really want it there to help you win a battle.  Counterpoint: Align your attachments at a 3g or a 4g slot, and then run Exotic Market or Colonial Dojo to buy them.  Focus on 3f items if blitz, dropping Utaku's Destiny (a fine card, but too expensive for just 2f out of blitz) and Haramaki for Justice of the Crane at a 3-of and bumping Family Sword to a 3-of.  If you want to fight more opposed battles, drop Family Sword and Utaku's Destiny for weapons with actions on them (Tiger Claw becomes an option if you are doing Exotic Market [3+2] or Koan's Staff at 3g).

Again, all of the above is just my opinion based on looking at your deck.  I know you want to be versatile, but I think focusing on what you want to accomplish a little bit more could only help.

Used to blog L5R, now I run the community board for Tampa L5R, The Forgotten Bay.
Top Lion Atlanta Kotei 2012, Top 16, 10th Overall.
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:03 pm

I think your clinically insane if you think tsiang doesn't belong in every single unicorn deck.   There are some cards to question sure, and some cards for playstyles, but tsiang is pay 6 gold, win action economy against any bow action ever, he's won games just by being there to pick up the soldiers. 

Mostly everything else I agree with, I'll test out the secluded with some other stuff, in general though I think Ominous armor and two turtle shell has served me well.  The point of ominous is to deal with kill actions, limited, ranged, or dueling, period.  The point of turtle shell is to deal with ranged specifically and at two off it's easily cycled if I know they don't play them (dueling or a political deck for example).  

The weapons and armor in general I'm blah about...  Haramaki-do activates soul sacrifice, I only need 1 family sword on board to make use of it, and utaku's is just simple force and card draw, something I found extremely important in my games.   My goal is not to be a blitz deck, my goal is to have the blitz option.  I think blitz is bad and auto loses to some decks (Crab will stomp it).    Having the option opens up lots of potential if I need it or see the ability to do it but it doesn't make or break the deck.   Advanced warning is simply a multipurpose card, eject, save provinces, take something I normally couldn't, or just shifting province strength in general, it's a solid card, I don't expect to blitz anything with it.  In the end the equation is simple:  Do they have 7 province strength or less... I look at my hand and my cards on turn 2 and decide.   That's how it's worked in every game and it hasn't affected me much either way...

I like new cavalry but it fits into the same slot as ominous and turtle shell, in both cases it fits the same purpose, death protection, with the lack of commanders currently while its good it's not that important to me, also force modification on my attachments is essential to make use of izimi work... 

In the end the balance of actions has worked out for me, the only thing that has been a hindrance has been mid-range force personalities which is why I put in unholy strike, to draw out turtle shells or just kill people.   I think with vengeful back in the deck I can deal with mid-game token skirmishes without wasting my hand, and I'm fine with that.  As far as the big battle actions, I think the only problem I've ever had was with souls sacrifice which I couldn't use every once in a while (why it's at 2), deliberations while costly has been worth it every game...  It's the versatility of going big or small with it imo that makes it good. 

I'm not gonna change much as I know what my playtesting has shown me against the field, but I'll goof with a few cards here and there...   I think secluded will get cut, I'll just have to see what for...   Probably colonial due to the items, stupid reaction is stupid.
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Kind of wish there was a decent "offensive" movement card, false route is so good if I was playing a defensive skirmish variant, same thing for storm-forged, neither help you win vs honor/defensive decks though.
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakita Hideo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Overall I think sleeps points are valid and well written. Patrick has determined that he likes the jack of all trades, master of none approach.
Kakita Hideo
Kenshinzen of The Forgotten Bay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm

I don't know, I'm not that great at deck building, and I guess I don't understand the vs statements as they seem to be mismatched.  

Advanced warning doesn't enable blitz, expensive does.  Advanced warning requires the opponent not to defend and I don't see how it enables blitzing.  3 force weapons make blitz more reliable, so would more cavalry bodies, (that was the alternate route I didn't take in my choices).    

Ominous armor catches kill actions in general, turtle shell is a meta vs military decks that run ranged attacks and can just be cycled out (dueling + honor varients, why I run bamboo and temple).   Even so at 5 cards this is hardly taking up much of the deck.  
(3 gold isn't really awkward when half my holdings produce 3 gold, if anything 4 gold is awkward which is why I want to try colonial temple out).  

The gold scheme changes are minor and already were on my mind, as for tsiang I don't get it :/ 

You're right, the deck doesn't have a theme...   it has a blitz option but the goal is to survive to end-game and just remove presense.  I don't know...   Neutral
Moto Damasko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum