The Forgotten Bay Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thank you

+3
Moto Damasko
Sleep
CrypticApathy
7 posters

Go down

Thank you Empty Thank you

Post  CrypticApathy Wed May 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Thank you for taking the time to help my friend and i yesterday with everything. This game definatly has both of our interests. Assuming im not closing on tuesday night ill show up at the shop again to see if anyone is there. I bought a Mantis deck since someone mentioned yall dont have a dedicated mantis player. So ill be picking between mantis and crab until i find out which i like more.

Good luck at your tournments. See ya soon.!!!

Ryan
CrypticApathy
CrypticApathy
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Thank you Empty Re: Thank you

Post  Sleep Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Haha, thanks for the good luck wishes!

It was cool meeting you guys. I wish it was under better circumstances, but with a kotei just 4 days out, we were very focused on our playtesting. The South Carolina Kotei is the last major event for Team Anthem until Gencon in August, so there will be nearly 3 months of casual playing after this weekend. We'll be able to sit down with you guys and actually walk through some games and help give you pointers on deck building. The fact that you have played other CCGs will really help the learning curve for L5R and we are excited to see you guys around!
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko Wed May 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Yep Yep! Glad to have new players around, the next two sets are going to be good for the next arc, so those are worth-while purchases. Beyond that forgotten legacy, a direct to player set, will be worthwhile as well.

I'll have some fun decks ready for next play-session, mostly lower tier themes from our perspective clans.
Moto Damasko
Moto Damasko
Enlightened Forgotten Bay Monk

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaronious Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Also, you might want to check out the Newbie strategy articles at Sleep's blog, www.F5Generation.com.

The ones you particularly want are by the Third Hand, and will really help understand how to compose your deck. I hope he is still in the middle of the series, because there is still so much that I need to learn, too!

Aaronious
Hero of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakita Hideo Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 pm

What would you like me to write about Tim? I'm going to put a couple articles together soon. I'll take request.
Kakita Hideo
Kakita Hideo
Kenshinzen of The Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaronious Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 am

Hmm...

Deck themes would be nice; for example, I understand the concept of Breeder, but it seems like each card can only be used once or twice so how do you keep the engine ticking? I finally found out what Super-Friends is, but how does it function when you pay through the nose for out-of-clan cards? I also know of Naked Lion, but have no idea how a huge bunch of boxables has a chance against, say, an attachment-heavy Kensai deck.

Along those same lines would be a discussion of win-conditions, and possibly what cards are auto-includes for each of those. (I guess, on a larger scale, this question would be one of deck-planning: what order do you work in? Do you start with theme, then go to win-condition, then stronghold? Do you find a card, build the decks, then figure out what it is good at? Do you build your Fate deck first, or your Dynasty? All of this from a Spike perspective would be very useful, especially for a Johnny/Timmy.)

Maybe explain consistency, and break it down for the different decks that a player uses in a given game (Dynasty, Fate.) Also, the concept of synergy. I know these things are like, "Duh!" I just can't seem to grasp them very well.

You might also have Clan-specific auto-include lists, sorta like what you did when talking about holdings. I know these lists will all change when the next expansion comes out, but just think - you'll never run out of material this way!

Something that came up recently when I tried to cheat with my Scorpion Ninja deck is the difference between bringing a card into play at a location versus moving it to a location. And for that matter, the benefits/drawbacks of the different action-windows (Open, Limited, Battle, Political, etc.)

Finally, what special benefits are offered by the various keywords? Example: I know that Tactician can discard a card for a force bonus equal to the card's focus value. This can be comboed with various other cards, including their stronghold, for some serious card-draw. What about "Paragon/Dark Paragon?" (Is there a difference between them?) How does "Shugenja" or "Monk" work? Does being a "Poison Master" grant you any bonuses? What about having a Champion on the board? Do you have to be a Hero to perform Heroic actions? (Some Heroic actions do not have a penalty attached to being used by non-Heroes, so can they still be used by non-Heroes? Is there some kind of kick-back that warrants the use of the "Heroic" keyword on the card?)

If you mix-and-match, I'm pretty sure there is enough material there for one article, at least! Smile

Aaronious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Thu May 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Aaronious wrote:Hmm...

Deck themes would be nice; for example, I understand the concept of Breeder, but it seems like each card can only be used once or twice so how do you keep the engine ticking? I finally found out what Super-Friends is, but how does it function when you pay through the nose for out-of-clan cards? I also know of Naked Lion, but have no idea how a huge bunch of boxables has a chance against, say, an attachment-heavy Kensai deck.

Along those same lines would be a discussion of win-conditions, and possibly what cards are auto-includes for each of those. (I guess, on a larger scale, this question would be one of deck-planning: what order do you work in? Do you start with theme, then go to win-condition, then stronghold? Do you find a card, build the decks, then figure out what it is good at? Do you build your Fate deck first, or your Dynasty? All of this from a Spike perspective would be very useful, especially for a Johnny/Timmy.)

Maybe explain consistency, and break it down for the different decks that a player uses in a given game (Dynasty, Fate.) Also, the concept of synergy. I know these things are like, "Duh!" I just can't seem to grasp them very well.

You might also have Clan-specific auto-include lists, sorta like what you did when talking about holdings. I know these lists will all change when the next expansion comes out, but just think - you'll never run out of material this way!

Something that came up recently when I tried to cheat with my Scorpion Ninja deck is the difference between bringing a card into play at a location versus moving it to a location. And for that matter, the benefits/drawbacks of the different action-windows (Open, Limited, Battle, Political, etc.)

Finally, what special benefits are offered by the various keywords? Example: I know that Tactician can discard a card for a force bonus equal to the card's focus value. This can be comboed with various other cards, including their stronghold, for some serious card-draw. What about "Paragon/Dark Paragon?" (Is there a difference between them?) How does "Shugenja" or "Monk" work? Does being a "Poison Master" grant you any bonuses? What about having a Champion on the board? Do you have to be a Hero to perform Heroic actions? (Some Heroic actions do not have a penalty attached to being used by non-Heroes, so can they still be used by non-Heroes? Is there some kind of kick-back that warrants the use of the "Heroic" keyword on the card?)

If you mix-and-match, I'm pretty sure there is enough material there for one article, at least! Smile

There could be a whole article written about each of your questions. And there is no reason not to. New players need help learning the game, and most of the time, words and jargon get thrown around by more experienced players and become second nature to them. But there is wisdom in taking an objective view from the eyes of the new player, the player who has never dealt with things like "consistency", "tempo", and "synergy". We would be doing those new players an injustice if we didn't cover those sorts of articles. Now, that's not to say that we are going to work down this list and just pump out boring, generic articles... we'll still do our best to have the highest level of quality possible in our articles. But this is a good jumping-off point, and gives us some GOOD ideas of what to write specific articles about.
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  valentine Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 pm

There really is no answer for most of those questions (when you get down deep enough). Consistency is for the weak of heart Razz .
valentine
valentine
Forgotten Bay Bushi
Forgotten Bay Bushi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 pm

valentine wrote:There really is no answer for most of those questions (when you get down deep enough). Consistency is for the weak of heart Razz .

Always the cynic! I can imagine an article written by Trevor right now.

"Don't be a bitch. If you lose, get over it. Just don't lose.

Love,
Trevor V

xoxo"
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm also a fan of,

Random player: Man my deck sucks...

Trevor plays a game with the deck and wins...

Trevor: Stop being a bitch...

Trevor throws the deck across the table.
Moto Damasko
Moto Damasko

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosh Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Moto Damasko wrote:I'm also a fan of,

Random player: Man my deck sucks...

Trevor plays a game with the deck and wins...

Trevor: Stop being a bitch...

Trevor throws the deck across the table.
That made me happy in the pants region.
Gosh
Gosh
Commander of the Forgotten Bay
Commander of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum