The Forgotten Bay Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hida Saiyuki Ruling

5 posters

Go down

Hida Saiyuki Ruling Empty Hida Saiyuki Ruling

Post  panku Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:42 pm

So apparently... weapons modify stats and are not bonuses, therefore Saiyuki doesnt get extra force for equiping weapons.
I feel like the design team's intent to keep rules intuitive and clean is off to a bad start.
panku
panku
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Hida Saiyuki Ruling Empty Re: Hida Saiyuki Ruling

Post  HidaDowling Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Yeah that really sucks. Saiyuki was looking like crab MVP because if that trait. With not getting the bonus from a weapon it's a shame. He is still really good though for only 4 gold.
HidaDowling
HidaDowling
Commander of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosh Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Well it's definitely in keeping with his previous versions, which only affected force from actions, but it's not clean.
Gosh
Gosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:38 pm

I see where there could be some confusion over the technical differences between a force bonus and a force modification. I don't know if it's because I remember playing with the old one (and he was a constant target for charge/frenzy, not weapons) but I think this "feels" right. Thematically, he's a guy that spikes in force when the situation calls for it. When the army yells BANZAI and he gets pumped to go fight (+2f), he is just to the kind of guy who gets a little bit more excited than others. When he is fighting a good fight against an opponent, instead of just sacking an undefended land (crab box +1) he is very patriotic and fights even harder!

I don't think it feels correct thematically that when he holds a sword that you gave him, he swings it harder just because it's a weapon. You get the impression that he is a powderkeg waiting to blow, and it's actions that light his fuse.

That being said, thematically aside, starting the arc like this does hurt. Either adding a descriptor to the trait ("Force bonus from actions...) or a limitation to the trait ("Non-item force bonuses") and then keeping items as force bonuses would be smoother I feel. Yes, you'd have to re-word all actions that negate/reset force bonuses to say whether they include weapon bonuses or not, but it is much better for that distinction to be on the cards that the players are looking at, versus the current distinction being muddled in the rulebook (and on forums).
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  panku Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 am

Saiyuki is good enough without the added bonus from weapons, I just don't like the idea of explaining the distinction between modifiers and bonuses to every new player who plays the card.
panku
panku

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 am

panku wrote:Saiyuki is good enough without the added bonus from weapons, I just don't like the idea of explaining the distinction between modifiers and bonuses to every new player who plays the card.

This...  The modified alone causes enough trouble, I know it came up during the demo game.
Moto Damasko
Moto Damasko
Enlightened Forgotten Bay Monk
Enlightened Forgotten Bay Monk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down