The Forgotten Bay Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer)

3 posters

Go down

Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer) Empty Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer)

Post  Sleep Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:42 am

I'll start with this gem I noticed a little while back.

Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer) 5068_110

Any others?
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer) Empty Re: Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer)

Post  Moto Damasko Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 am

Surprisingly it only turns off the honor runner, leaves the dishonor alone.
Moto Damasko
Moto Damasko
Enlightened Forgotten Bay Monk

Back to top Go down

Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer) Empty Re: Cards that suck for constructed L5R but are potentially amazing for War of Honor (multiplayer)

Post  Pruto Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 am

i dunno, i think you'd have to be a brave man (or crazy) to play honor/dishonor in multi. Probably have more success going switch or make your deck gain honor "accidentally" via battle or whatever.

btw, little known fact. The Monkey Clan was created because Toturi's Army won a multiplayer tourney (first and only story tourney from multiplayer in the olden days irc...). This was back when TA's stronghold was 6/3/2 and rarely played (think ronin stronghold). The Urban legend is that the TA player talked his way into a win because his deck looked "weak". Also the only major tourney win for Toturi's Army before they got the bandwagon stronghold.
Pruto
Pruto
Commander of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:10 am

I agree, personally I'll be doing honor/military (lion or unicorn paragons) and military/enlightenment (deathpriests or mili shuggies) as having multiple victory requirements is almost a requirement for the benefits as well as having options to play in other peoples turns.

The real cool part comes when you start discussing plans with the group. It reminds me of this game I've been playin A TON OF, shogun 2: total war. I can't express how complex the computer game is, and that's with dozens upon dozens of enemies with their own provinces and armies and tactics and diplomacy, each player is gonna be its own power within War of Honor, and how they will react to being attacked, whether they are aggressive or not, who will side with who, are all huge considerations.
Moto Damasko
Moto Damasko

Back to top Go down

Post  Pruto Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 pm

actually, i think even paragon/battle maidens may be a bit harder to defend politically. After the control decks are wiped out the obvious switch decks will be targeted next.

I think you almost have to be sneaky switch or be able to win on your turn (enlightenment) if you are not going primary military. Although sneaky switch decks will only work a few rounds before you are outted by spies lol.
Pruto
Pruto

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto Damasko Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Pruto, keep in mind you can't enlighten on one turn. No one can outright win on one turn. The only deck that can stop opponents winning via other methods is military, I think the benefit of military is you are the haymaker vs decks that are seeking to win quickly, while those decks will be seeking to stop you from crunching their provinces to stop them. I don't think we fully understand the entire meta game of the multi-player variant till we really sit down and play a game or two.

I would be interested in coming up Wednesday or Thursday to play a game or two with the basic decks included in the box (as well as buy myself a full copy of the game).
Moto Damasko
Moto Damasko

Back to top Go down

Post  Pruto Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 pm

i thought the original win conditions (5 rings/40 honor etc) were still in effect?
Pruto
Pruto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Pruto wrote:i thought the original win conditions (5 rings/40 honor etc) were still in effect?

No they are not. You don't even keep a running total of honor in the box set version of war of honor.

Once you build constructed decks the rules change so that you do start keeping track of honor, but it is ONLY for the reason of being able to bring people into play and for cards that care if you are higher/lower honor than another player. Hitting -20 in WoH doesn't make you lose and hitting 40 on the beggining of your turn doesn't make you win.

It's done this way to balance the win conditions. Military doesn't have to wipe everyone off the board any more, they just have to take 5 provinces on 5 different turns. Honor doesn't have to hit 40, they just have to gain 8 honor 5 different times. A good honor/dishonor deck will have enough open gains/losses though to gain multiple "victory points" in between their turns (for example, gaining 8 on my turn, on anthony's turn, and on patricks turn, so they gained 3 victory points in one "round") to help prevent the military players from ganging up on them too much until it's too late.
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down