The Forgotten Bay Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kotei Season 2012

+9
DancingTofu
CrypticApathy
Ogremunchy
Gosh
Sleep
Akodo Tealzooka
Pruto
BayushiTrevron
sorn38
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kotei Season 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Kotei Season 2012

Post  valentine Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Sorry for being late to the party,

All events should have the cut be best 2/3 games. It is irritating to no end to see events skirt.
valentine
valentine
Forgotten Bay Bushi
Forgotten Bay Bushi

Back to top Go down

Post  Pruto Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 pm

valentine wrote:Sorry for being late to the party,

All events should have the cut be best 2/3 games. It is irritating to no end to see events skirt.

i think we need to take that up with AEG

and add to that my biggest peeve is the forced roll off. If you spent 45 minutes giving your opponent the pimp hand he/she should not have a shot at getting a W.

Anyway i don't think Frank has control over either of those, ah well.
Pruto
Pruto
Commander of the Forgotten Bay
Commander of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  sorn38 Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:02 am

Pruto wrote:
valentine wrote:Sorry for being late to the party,

i think we need to take that up with AEG

and add to that my biggest peeve is the forced roll off. If you spent 45 minutes giving your opponent the pimp hand he/she should not have a shot at getting a W.

Anyway i don't think Frank has control over either of those, ah well.

heh yeah those are both outa my control... but there are some threads on things like that on the AEG forum.

sorn38
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  valentine Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:11 am

Unless I'm mistaken, its on the judge, from the floor rules

Elimination Rounds

After the final Swiss round, order the players by descending ranking,
and then by descending strength of schedule within each ranking until
you have enough to fill your finals matches. The first round of finals
pairings should be made by matching the player at the top of this list
with the one at the bottom, the second one with the next-to-last one,
and so on.

Matches in the elimination rounds should ideally be decided by
best-of-three, with no time limits. However, it is often best to run
some or all of the elimination rounds with a time limit and/or as
single-game matches to prevent an overly long tournament. The Tournament
Organizer shall announce this format before the beginning of the
tournament if any or all of the elimination rounds shall be of a
different time limit or match size than the Swiss rounds.
valentine
valentine
Forgotten Bay Bushi
Forgotten Bay Bushi

Back to top Go down

Post  sorn38 Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 am

valentine wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, its on the judge, from the floor rules

Elimination Rounds

After the final Swiss round, order the players by descending ranking,
and then by descending strength of schedule within each ranking until
you have enough to fill your finals matches. The first round of finals
pairings should be made by matching the player at the top of this list
with the one at the bottom, the second one with the next-to-last one,
and so on.

Matches in the elimination rounds should ideally be decided by
best-of-three, with no time limits. However, it is often best to run
some or all of the elimination rounds with a time limit and/or as
single-game matches to prevent an overly long tournament. The Tournament
Organizer shall announce this format before the beginning of the
tournament if any or all of the elimination rounds shall be of a
different time limit or match size than the Swiss rounds.

In a normal event yes. this last year it was specified in the Kotei Event rules.

That said even in years when it is up to the TO there are many factors that play into it. one of the Major ones being the Time the location allows. very very few locations give you free reign of the time clock. St. Louis is a Solid example. we have a Hard wall of midnight, I can push it past midnight, but if i go even a minute past midnight they charge me 300$ per hour, with a one hour minimum. Very few events can live through that last minute 300$ fee. some places rent out in 4 hour blocks... there are other reasons, but those are the major ones.. Best 2/3 Cut rounds really only work if the event goes two days, which is why you see it happen all the time in Europe where those are the norm, but here in the states we lose more attendees than we gain by running two day events, as so few people want to have the extra hotel night, etc charges..

Fk

sorn38
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  sorn38 Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:50 am

Sorry i dropped out for a bit.. Some personal live things reared up and ate all my free time..

so a question...

How about a good time? We did April last year, is there a better time? Spring break? thoughts?

Fk

sorn38
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  BayushiTrevron Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:30 pm

I don't see anything wrong with last years date. However, I'm not an expert. Is there some benefit or cost to doing it earlier/later? (Besides the obvious less cards in arc/more cards in arc ratio) Also, what about not conflicting with other pseudo-nearby koteis? What's peoples plans concerning those?
BayushiTrevron
BayushiTrevron
Bright Shield of Sweet Truths

Location : In the seam where secrets sleep between me, her, the devil, and the deep blue sea

Back to top Go down

Post  sorn38 Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:25 pm

BayushiTrevron wrote:I don't see anything wrong with last years date. However, I'm not an expert. Is there some benefit or cost to doing it earlier/later?

There really isn't a cost difference this far in advance at a TO. More that if there is a local series of festivals, local holidays, those sorta things to avoid... or Fall on things like Spring Break that make traveling for more easier...

BayushiTrevron wrote:Also, what about not conflicting with other pseudo-nearby koteis? What's peoples plans concerning those?

Unfortunately because of the way Kotei's are handled (Bid out to "subcontractors") it's very difficult to plan with other regional events. We (the TO's) try to mitigate this a bit by saying when we are bidding in a thread on the AEG forum, but that only works for those that see the thread, deem to comment in it.

IE
EX 1) You'll notice the DC Kotei has spoken up and has his prospective dates listed,
but it's completely unofficial, and non-binding...
EX 2) You Notice a Vegas Kotei there, but currently it has nothing more than someone with a date in mind and no Location.. And is just included because he's working towards it and wants others to know he might be using the March 17th date.

Last edited by sorn38 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forget hyperlink)

sorn38
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  sorn38 Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 am

Barring Any last minute Objections, I'm bidding a location in Orlando..

This has nothing to do with Darkside, as they were an Outstanding host. I enjoyed working with them, they had a great location, and an outstanding selection of product. The employees / owner's were top notch, and you that have them as a local store better realize how lucky you are. There are many in the community that would love to have a store such as them close by...

Why the move then you ask...

In the Midwest (especially St. Louis) you learn the value of a central location. I generally have 3 Kotei's within 4 hours, and 7 within 8 hours. Florida has the Water stuff on three sides, so it limits alot of choices. If there is an event in Miami then just Miami folks with be there... An event in the Greater Tampa area, literally Doubles the drive for almost anyone on the Eastern portion of the state, and I feel that may have helped lower attendance, as some just weren't up for the drive. With a Move to Orlando we cut the drive to the Jacksonville folks and depending on where in the (Greater) Tampa area you are from it adds a 45 minutes to an hour and 45 minutes. More players is always a good time...

I've got a couple locations that i'm looking at specifically and will finalize most of it out in the next few days and submit the Application.

Fk

sorn38
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleep Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 am

sounds good frank! All very understandable reasons.
Sleep
Sleep
Mod Team
Mod Team

Back to top Go down

Post  JRosen9 Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 am

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm one of the players from Cool Stuff and therefore would prefer Orlando to any other venue. However, that being said, none of the cool stuff crew traveled to the kotei last year. The reason being is that all of us became very disinterested in the enviornment as what we liked in the game was apparently removed. Lately, we have been looking at the EE cards and the rules and are again becoming excited to play l5r again.

I'm not quite sure when the kotei's are or when the arc switches, but if the kotei is EE and in the central florida area (I include the Tampa area in this) We will probably go.

JRosen9
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  panku Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:46 pm

All tournaments from January out will be EE.
panku
panku
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay
Daimyo of the Forgotten Bay

Back to top Go down

Post  sorn38 Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 pm

JRosen9 wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm one of the players from Cool Stuff and therefore would prefer Orlando to any other venue.

Well Cool Stuff saved my bacon actually. I had another location I was set on, but things fell through unfortunately. I was however able to work out an agreement with CoolStuff and I submitted the Bid for their location. The only issue we had last time was they couldn't get their A/C to work properly.

I am unaware of any other FL bid's but we'll find out if AEG accepts... here is the schedule as it stands

 Final Applications Acceptance Date: November 20, 2011

 Application approval: December 8, 2011

 Final Kotei List Announcement: January 13, 2012

Fk

sorn38
Forgotten Bay Student
Forgotten Bay Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down